The Duke of Edinburgh has decided to give up driving and voluntarily surrender his licence to police following a recent crash near Sandringham, Buckingham Palace has announced.
Prince Philip made the decision "after careful consideration" following his car crash last month in which a 45-year-old woman suffered a broken wrist.
Norfolk Police confirmed the news Saturday evening, adding that "the investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration."
A CPS spokesperson said: "We review each file carefully before a decision is made and will take this development into account."
The 97 year old's recent crash made headlines after reports of an "astonishing escape" from the wreckage of his Range Rover - which had rolled across the road during the collision with a Kia.
He caused further controversy after he was spotted less than 48-hours later driving without a seatbelt.
Norfolk Police confirmed they had spoken to the duke after being made aware of photographs showing him driving without a seatbelt, saying "suitable words of advice have been given to the driver".
Roy Warne, 75, who pulled the duke from his car described him as a "very brave man" and said the wreckage looked like it had caused "extraordinarily severe injuries".
He escaped injury, but passenger Emma Fairweather broke her wrist and called for the duke to be prosecuted if he was found to be at a fault.
In a letter dated January 21, Philip wished her a "speedy recovery" and said he "failed to see the car coming", the Sunday Mirror reported.
He blamed the low, bright sun for obscuring his vision, adding he was "very contrite about the consequences".