'I'd like answers, rather than questions all the time': Charlie Rowley speaks out as Salisbury declared Novichok-free

  • Video report by ITV News Correspondent Paul Davies

Novichok survivor Charlie Rowley has spoken of his struggle to come to terms with the nerve agent attack almost a year on.

His partner, 44-year-old Dawn Sturgess, died after being exposed to the poison in July last year, following the attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury in March.

Mr Rowley said one of the hardest things to deal with was that nobody has been brought to justice.

"Nothing really has changed - it's been a year, six or so months since my partner's passed away, and nothing has changed," he said.

"I'd like there to be answers, rather than questions all the time."

Ms Sturgess was exposed to the nerve agent when Mr Rowley presented her with a perfume bottle he had found, thinking it was a brand of designer fragrance.

It left him badly hurt too, with the impact on his physical health still ongoing."I'm not the same guy I used to be, I know that," he said.

"I'm still suffering. My eye gets worse from day to day. There's problen with my arm, my lungs - I get out of breath all the time.

"There seems to be various things.

"That's one thing that has been affected by taking the poison is my memory. I do struggle to remember things."

The Skripal's house was among the locations cleaned by military teams. Credit: PA

It comes on the day that Salisbury was declared completely decontaminated of Novichok after an almost year-long military clean-up.

An estimated 600-800 specially trained military personnel, including the chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear regiment, spent 13,000 hours on the clean-up, named Operation Morlop.

They cleaned and decontaminated Mr Skripal's house 11 other potentially infected sites, including the park bench where the Skripals were found collapsed, the Zizzi restaurant where they had dined beforehand, and the home of Detective Sergeant Nick Bailey, who was exposed to the agent.

Bourne Hill police station, Ashley Wood vehicle recovery yard and The Mill pub were also cleaned, along with the ambulance stations in Salisbury and Amesbury, where Ms Sturgess was poisoned.

But investigating officers said they were still appealing for information.

Wiltshire Police Deputy Chief Constable Paul Mills said: "Whilst today marks an important landmark in relation to the decontamination process it does not however mark the end to the police investigation."