Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Benitez still waiting on answers about Newcastle future

Rafael Benitez says he is still waiting for answers concerning new contract talks as he prepares his Newcastle side for Leicester trip. Credit: PA

Rafael Benitez says he is still waiting for answers concerning new contract talks as he prepares his Newcastle side for Friday's Premier League trip to Leicester.

Benitez stressed there have been no developments since he called for clarity from club owner Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley prior to last week's home defeat to Crystal Palace.

Benitez said: "It is exactly the same situation that I had before, so I am waiting and the main thing if I am asked about this is just to talk about the game, and I just try to get three points."

With his current deal set to expire in the summer, Benitez has acknowledged there is an air of uncertainly around St James' Park as the Magpies struggle to make certain of staying in the top flight.

They remain just seven points clear of the relegation zone and - while a win over the Foxes should prove enough to ensure survival - Benitez believes the challenge could have become more difficult than it first appeared.

"We know that we are close and we just have to keep pushing and not play with any complacency - just try to do what we did for so many months," stressed Benitez.

"I said before that 38 points could be enough but now maybe not. We just have to try and get three points and the rest of the things depend sometimes on the results at the weekend."