More than 2,000 new words have been added to the Scrabble dictionary this year as the popular boardgame embraces some new facets of the modern world.
'Cisgender', 'Ze' and 'Transphobia' are among just some of the 2,862 words that will win players points this year, along with the existing existing 276,000.
Slang words have also been introduced into Scrabble's vocabulary this year, as 'bae', 'blud' and 'fleek' are among some of the terms of endearment absorbed into the game.
Collins' Official Scrabble Words list 2019 will be adopted by serious players, and provides a guide to what vocabulary is allowed in the game.
The database of words used by Collins is shaped by spikes in usage, such as the word 'Remainer' - a term which has become synonymous with Brexit.
Trending words have been added to the Scrabble repertoire, and some can score highly.
'Hackerazzo', the highest-scoring new Scrabble word which means a person who hacks a celebrity's personal computer, can scoop a Scrabbler 27 points.
Here is a list of some new words, including three new two-letter terms, which have been officially adopted:
- Agender – of a person who does not identify with a gender (9 points)
- Antifa – anti-fascist organisation (9 points)
- Antivaxxer – person opposed to vaccination (19 points)
- Bae – sweetheart or lover (5 points)
- Blud – friend (7 points)
- Burquini – swimming costume covering the whole body apart from the face, hands and feet (19 points)
- Cisgender – having an assigned birth gender and gender identity that are the same (13 points)
- Ew – expression of disgust (5 points)
- Fatberg – large mass of fat in a sewer (13 points)
- Fleek – as in “on fleek”, stylish (12 points)
- Genderqueer – person with a non-traditional gender identity (22 points)
- Hackerazzo – person who hacks a celebrity’s personal computer (27 points)
- Hench – fit and muscular (13 points)
- Incel – involuntary celibate (7 points)
- Kompromat – potentially damaging documents, photographs, etc kept for blackmail (19 points)
- Mansplaining – of a man explaining something to a woman in a condescending way (13 points)
- Manspreading – when a male passenger spreads his legs into the seats beside him (18 points)
- Misgender – refer to a person as the wrong gender (13 points)
- Ok – okay (6 points)
- Remainer – person who remains (10 points)
- Qapik – monetary unit of Azerbaijan (20 points)
- Shebagging – when a female passenger places her bag on the seat beside her (18 points)
- Transphobia – hatred or fear of transgender people (18 points)
- Upskirting – taking photographs under a woman’s skirt or dress without consent (17 points)
- Ze – gender-neutral pronoun (11 points)
- Yowza – used to express enthusiasm or excitement (20 points)