1. ITV Report

Made In Chelsea star Spencer Matthews forced to hide in vault as robbers target luxury West End watch shop

  • Video report by ITV London reporter Simon Harris

Reality TV star Spencer Matthews was forced to hide in the vault of a luxury watch shop as armed robbers smashed their way into the store.

Mr Matthews was in The Hour House at Duke Street in London's West End on Tuesday as the gang took sledgehammers to shop cabinets.

Eyewitnesses said around six masked men on four mopeds targeted the shop, with one brandishing a machete at members of the public outside.

Spencer Matthews outside The Hour House on Duke Street.

The thieves rammed the front door with a scooter, before smashing at an inner door with sledgehammers.

Thames Valley fire service engineer Paul Starck was left with glass in his eye after the knifeman tried to smash his car window to stop him calling the police.

Spencer Matthews posted pictures on social media of the glass-strewn shop and smashed cabinets.

Police inside The Hour House on Duke Street.

Speaking to ITV News, Mr Matthews said:

We just heard these big, big noises - these loud bangs and there were these gentlemen with these large sledgehammers coming in - they rammed the door with a bike.

It's everyone's worst nightmare isn't it? I felt terribly bad for the staff in particular.

I have a diamond business so this is my worst nightmare, security. Turns out you can get through the double doors! It's quite scary.

– Spencer Matthews

He and his friends began looking for the 1991 vintage Rolex Daytona Zenith that Matthews had been hoping to collect.

Mr Matthews said he had been thinking of his wife and son as the drama unfolded.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed it was called at 10:32hrs on Tuesday, 28 May following reports men armed with weapons drove to the premises on mopeds and smashed a window before stealing goods and fleeing.

It said armed officers were dispatched to the scene.

Three men have been arrested on suspicion of armed robbery and remain in custody at a north London police station.