Russia’s interior minister has said all charges against an investigative journalist arrested on suspicion of drug dealing have been dropped.
The accusations against Ivan Golunov “have not been proven”, according to government minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev.
The announcement came just one day after three leading Russian newspapers published nearly identical front pages supporting Mr Golunov - an unprecedented show of solidarity.
The front pages of the respected business newspapers Kommersant, Vedomosti and RBK all read ‘I am/We are Ivan Golunov’ and called for a probe into the detention and arrest of the journalist.
Mr Kolokoltsev said Mr Golunov has been released from house arrest and he intends to seek the dismissal of three senior police officials and to investigate others involved in the case.
Mr Golunov was detained last Thursday and placed under house arrest on Saturday.
He denied possessing drugs, and the circumstances of his case aroused suspicion among rights activists the journalist had been framed.