Man in 20s dies after broad daylight shooting incident

Police crime scene in Sydenham Road, south-east London Credit: Andrew Chang/PA

A man in his 20s has died after a broad daylight shooting incident in south-east London.

Officers were called to reports of suspicious activity in Sydenham Road at 3.45pm, the Metropolitan Police said.

Shots were subsequently heard and firearms officers were also summoned along with the London Ambulance Service.

A man was found with gunshot wounds and died at the scene at 3.50pm.

The force said no arrests have yet been made and a police presence remains at the scene.

Police at the scene in Sydenham Road, south-east London. Credit: Andrew Chang/PA

Forensic teams could be seen photographing the scene in nearby Venner Road, where the body was still lying three hours later.

Witnesses say there were reports the man had shot himself, but these reports were unconfirmed.

A 56-year-old woman living on Venner Road said she had been stuck inside the police cordon for three hours since the shooting.

“He’s been there for three hours covered by a sheet. No mum, no dad. It’s really sad,” she said.

She said she had lived in Sydenham for 25 years and there had been very few incidents.

“It’s a nice little area this. It’s up and coming,” she said.

The man was found with gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene. Credit: Tess De La Mare/PA

Adam Cornish, 37, who lives close to the scene, said the area had been largely unaffected by rising levels of violence elsewhere in the capital.

Mr Cornish, who has a two-year-old daughter, said: “I’ve lived here for five-and-a-half years – you get a few idiots driving up and down too fast but nothing like this.”

Wayne St John, who lives nearby with his wife and 22-year-old daughter, also said it was a very safe area.

But he added: “There was a burnt-out car a few days ago down by the traffic lights (on Sydenham Road). It was left there for about three days.”

One resident in a flat overlooking the junction between Sydenham Road and Venner Road said she had heard the gunshot.

“It took almost three hours for the police to cover the body up, it’s disgusting,” she said.

In response to the incident, Ellie Reeves, Labour MP for Lewisham West and Penge, tweeted: “Shocked and saddened to learn of the fatal shooting in Sydenham this afternoon.

“My thoughts are with the victim and their family. This violence has no place in our community.”

Mayor of Lewisham Damien Egan said on Twitter: “Terrible news from Sydenham this afternoon and my heart goes out to this young man’s family.”

Police were given extra stop and search powers through a Section 60 order, running from 5pm on Sunday to 7am on Monday in seven local wards.

  • Anyone with any information is urged to call police on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.