Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

'Miracle dog' undergoes lifesaving operations after swallowing 34 Christmas decorations

Marley underwent two lifesaving operations after eating the home-made Christmas decorations. Credit: PA/PDSA

A labrador had to undergo two lifesaving operations after gorging on more than 30 home-made gingerbread Christmas tree decorations.

Marley had to be rushed to a pet hospital after he became seriously after ingesting the decorations which had ribbons attached to them.

Vets at the PDSA Pet Hospital in Bournemouth had to perform emergency surgery on the labrador.

Owner Rachel Bulmer said: “I had been baking gingerbread tree decorations, and left them in gift bags on the kitchen counter side, ready to give as Christmas treats.

“I thought I’d left them safely out of reach, but when I noticed some were gone, I instantly knew who had taken them.

PDSA veterinary nurse Carrie Dyson with Marley. Credit: PDSA/PA

“Over the years Marley’s been no stranger to eating things he shouldn’t and usually they pass through.

“But this time he started acting strangely and looked like he was going into shock. He was violently sick and brought up some of the ribbon.”

During the operations which lasted three hours, the vets managed to remove 34 decorative ribbons which had been attached to the tree decorations and which were causing a potentially fatal blockage.

They also found that Marley had swallowed a number of bones which had also become lodged in his stomach.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

PDSA senior vet Aoife Clancy said: “It was a lengthy, high-risk surgery. Marley’s chances of surviving the night were looking poor, so he was transferred to the out-of-hours provider, Vets Now, so he could be cared for overnight.

“Thankfully he pulled through but needed critical round-the-clock care for four days before he could go home.”

Ms Bulmer said: “There were so many times we thought that was it, and with the heaviest of hearts, we were preparing to say goodbye to him. But he kept on fighting, and somehow, made it through surgery– he really is our miracle dog.”

Marley has now been brought home for “strict cage rest” and is beginning to recover.

Ms Bulmer added: “I don’t know what I would have done without the incredibly kind and caring staff at PDSA – they were phenomenal.

“They went above and beyond for him and I will be forever grateful. We’ve not moved from his side now he’s finally at home and even sleep next to him at night. He’s getting better and that’s the best Christmas present I could ever want.”

The treatment has cost PDSA more than £2,000, paid for by public donations.

Ms Clancy said: “It’s important that owners make sure decorations and toxic Christmas foods are safe from curious paws, as they can be incredibly harmful to our pets.

“Foods including mince pies, chocolate, onions, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake can all be fatal.

“Keep an eye out for signs including vomiting, diarrhoea, drinking excessively, shaking and restlessness. It’s best to contact the vet as soon as you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, rather than waiting for symptoms.”