Severe flood warnings remain after Storm Dennis leaves thousands of homes underwater

  • Video report by ITV News Reporter Stacey Foster

Thousands of homes were left underwater as Storm Dennis battered the UK as major incidents were declared across the UK.

In England, the number of flood alerts and warnings rose to an all-time high on Sunday evening - with 618 being put in place across the country.

Later in the evening that had fallen to little more than 600.

But four severe flood warnings remain in place - meaning a continued risk to life - all on the River Teme in Herefordshire and Worcestershire.

The Met Office has forecast winds and heavy showers with a chance of hail and thunder on Monday.

A dog and its owner are rescued by emergency services after flooding in Nantgarw, Wales. Credit: PA

The warnings come after major incidents were declared in south Wales, Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire.

West Mercia Police warned of a "danger to life" due to flooding in the Tenbury Wells area of Worcestershire and Ludlow in Shropshire, with severe flood warnings in place.

Across the country hundreds of flood alerts and warnings remained in place after more than a month's rain fell in some places and parts of the country were hit by winds of more than 90mph.

On Sunday, hundreds of flights and trains were cancelled, and roads were closed as for the second weekend in a row the country was hit by a storm.

Sludge is cleared from the streets of Pontypridd after the River Taff burst its banks. Credit: PA

Both South Wales Police and West Mercia Police said they had declared major incidents and that the emergency services along with other agencies, such as utility companies and mountain rescue teams were "working continuously to ensure the safety and welfare of those affected, minimise damage to infrastructure and property, and minimise disruption".

South Wales Police said multiple floods and landslides were being dealt with, some communities had been cut off and some homes had had to be evacuated.

The forces said people in affected areas should:

  • Remain indoors, unless your journey is absolutely necessary

  • Steer well clear of dangers such as waterways

  • In an emergency, dial 999 – let highly skilled emergency service and rescue staff deal with incidents safely

  • Monitor local media and social media accounts for relevant organisations for updates

(PA Graphics)

Earlier on Sunday a red warning of "life-threatening" flooding in south Wales was issued until 11am.

While the weather began to ease later on Sunday, the Environment Agency (EA) urged people to remain vigilant and said "significant" river and surface water flooding is expected to continue into next week.

Flood duty manager Caroline Douglass added: "Storm Dennis will continue to bring disruptive weather into early next week, and there are flood warnings in place across much of England.

"We urge people to check the flood risk in their area and remain vigilant."

  • ITV News Correspondent Sejal Karia reports from Wales

But Meteorologist Craig Snell said that while Storm Dennis was moving away from the UK, wet and windy weather would continue - with scattered showers and winds of around 50mph to 60mph.

He added: "We are not out of the woods yet with wind.

"We have got to get all this water through the river system so even though the warnings from us may expire flood warnings are likely to remain in force for the next 24 hours."

Yellow weather warnings for wind are in place for Monday.

Severe flood warnings remain in place for the rivers Neath and Taff in South Wales, as well as the River Teme further north.

Many homes in affected areas were evacuated and there were warnings that gas, electricity and water could be lost.

Footage on social media showed the Coastguard rescuing a man from a submerged caravan in Crickhowell in Wales.

The man was waist-deep in water inside a caravan before a rescuer was winched down to him and gained access through a window.

The man was said to be cold and wet but otherwise unharmed.

A footbridge in Pontypridd is blocked by debris. Credit: PA

Senior Aeronautical Operations Officer Dom Golden said: “The flooding in this area is really significant.

"It’s great that we were able to help this person who had been trapped by floodwater for a significant period of time, with other emergency services unable to reach him.

"It was a tricky job for the winchman who had to negotiate deep floodwater, floating debris and strong turbulence and a great team effort on the part of all of those involved.”

Rescue crews in Brighton were searching for a woman who went missing after being seen close to the sea in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The local car park is flooded after the river burst its banks in Pontypridd. Credit: mbladdon37

Rescue workers used using boats to get families to safety after flooding in Nantgarw left entire streets under water.

In some areas in south Wales were evacuated with the help of a lifeboat in and people were moved to emergency rescue centres after their properties and businesses were devastated by water from overflowing rivers.

According to the Met Office a total of 156.2mm of rain fell at Crai Reservoir in Powys in the 48 hours from Friday to Sunday morning.

The average monthly rainfall for February in Wales is 111.1mm,.

The fastest gust recorded in same period was in Aberdaron where 91 mph was recorded at 6pm on Saturday.

Pontcanna Fields in Cardiff resembled a flood plain after the river burst its banks overnight.

Cardiff Council said all buildings within the park are currently closed.

In the Swansea Valley, a man was declared dead after being pulled from the River Tawe near Trebanos Rugby Club.

Dyfed-Powys Police said that a man in his 60s was seen entering the river near Gorsedd Park in Ystradgynlais area at about 10am on Sunday morning.

The force said he was rescued around seven miles downriver, but despite paramedics battling to save his life he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the death was not being treated as suspicious or being linked to the bad weather.

On Saturday, the bodies of two men were pulled from the sea off the Kent coast.