Police officer critically injured in Glasgow stabbing attack named

  • Video report by ITV News Scotland correspondent Peter Smith

A police officer seriously injured in a stabbing attack in Glasgow city centre has been named as 42-year-old David Whyte.

The suspect was shot dead by armed police after six people, including were injured in the attack in a hotel.

Undated handout photo issued by Police Scotland of Constable David Whyte, 42, who was one of six people injured during the incident at the Park Inn Hotel in West George Street on Friday. Credit: PA

Constable Whyte is in a critical but stable condition following the incident, which is not being treated as terror-related.

A man who said he was a hotel resident told ITV News Scotland correspondent Peter Smith, who is at the scene, that two of those stabbed were receptionists at the hotel.

  • Scotland Correspondent Peter Smith provides an update from the scene on Friday night

Police have not yet confirmed the identity of the victims, but said they were men aged between 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53.

Officials are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident, police have said.

Housing charity Positive Action in Housing said the hotel was used to house asylum seekers and that there were between 80-100 people living there, from countries including Iran, Somalia and Afghanistan.

Officers at the scene following the incident. Credit: PA

One resident who asked not to be named, told ITV News he was one of the first on the scene and helped those who were wounded.

"The lift was covered with blood on the floor," he said.

"So I did not take the lift, I went down the stairs. When I reached down to reception there was blood everywhere on the reception floor and the whole area, covered with blood. So then I've seen one of the receptionist, fighting for his life behind the receptionist desk. So I shouted at him and told him to stay calm as possible.

"And I called for help. I ran outside the hotel and that's when I saw another receptionist who was lying down on the stairs, always has been stabbed and gasping for air."

"We heard the screaming and the commotion of everything," eyewitness Matthew Nesbitt told ITV News.

"I saw one gentleman lying on the steps outside the hotel. And he had a stab wound to the torso and it was a lot of blood on the steps."

  • Watch: Footage taken from the scene in Glasgow

Another witness, who gave his name as Craig, said he saw a man lying on the ground who looked as if he had been stabbed.

"Following that I saw the armed response moving into the building. I then saw many victims being ushered out and being taken away," he said.

"The first few moments there wasn't a level of fear from anyone around us. I think it's one the things about Glasgow people move towards commotion rather than move away from it. But when we saw the armed police on the scene and we got shouted at to move back, it all got a bit more seriously."

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she was "shocked and saddened" by the incident.

"This had been a dreadful afternoon for the city of Glasgow," she said.

Ms Sturgeon said people’s thoughts should be with those injured.

She said: “All of us should bear them in mind, bear their families in mind and make sure we focus on all of the great things that bring our city together.”

“All of us should bear them in mind, bear their families in mind and make sure we focus on all of the great things that bring our city together.”

The First Minister continued: “These are incidents that shock all of us and leave a sense of anxiety.

“The police through their professionalism and calm handling of this contained this situation relatively quickly.”

She said the actions taken ensured a “very, very serious incident didn’t become much worse”.

Officials are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident. Credit: PA

On Friday evening Downing Street said Boris Johnson’s “thoughts remain” with those injured during the incident.

A Number 10 spokesman said: “The Prime Minister has this afternoon spoken with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon about the incident in Glasgow.

“He has also held a meeting with the Home Secretary and senior police officers, in which he was updated.

“The Prime Minister thanked the Chief Constable of Police Scotland, Iain Livingstone, for the exceptional bravery of his officers at the scene.

“The PM’s thoughts remain with the injured and their loved ones.”

Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Steve Johnson said: "Police responded to a report of an incident at the Park Inn Hotel in West George Street, Glasgow, at 12.50pm today.

"Officers were on the scene within two minutes, and armed officers shortly afterwards, and the incident was quickly contained.

"A man was shot by armed police and has died. Six other men are in hospital for treatment, including a 42-year-old police officer, who is in a critical but stable condition. The officer's family is aware.

“The other men in hospital are aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53. Liaison officers have been appointed. "Our thoughts are with the families of those who were injured, including our officer.

"The incident is not being treated as a terrorism and our investigation is continuing into the circumstances.

"There is no wider risk to the public, however the street remains closed and people should avoid the area.

"As would be the case in any police discharge of firearms involving a fatality, the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service has instructed the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner to investigate."