Picture of Nigel Farage in pub appearing to break quarantine after USA trip sparks calls for police probe

Mr Farage tweeted a photo of himself in the pub with the caption: '12 o’clock, first customer in. Love it.' Credit: Twitter/@Nigel_Farage

Police are being urged to launch an investigation into Nigel Farage after the Brexit Party leader shared a photo of himself in the pub - appearing to break travel quarantine rules.

Mr Farage shared a photo of himself in one of England's newly reopened pubs on Saturday with the caption: "12 o’clock, first customer in. Love it."

But the former-Ukip leader had visited the United States at the end of June to attend a political rally in support of Donald Trump.

Mr Farage was pictured in the US on June 20, making Saturday's pub visit an apparent breach of the full 14-day self-isolation period required for overseas travellers.

According to the UK government's coronavirus restrictions, travellers arriving from the US must self-isolate for a full 14-days upon their return.

The apparent breach has prompted angry reactions on social media, and prompted calls for an investigation into Mr Farage's actions.

Acting Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey has written to Kent Police asking them to investigate the former MEP for "violation of the quarantine".

He wrote: "There are clearly serious questions to answer for Nigel Farage," adding:

"It is a responsibility of everyone to take the lockdown requirements seriously in order to stop the spread of the virus. By choosing to go to the pub when he should have been staying at home, Mr Farage is showing a flagrant disregard for the safety of people in his community".

A spokesman for Mr Farage denied the 56-year-old had broken quarantine rules by going to the pub.

While Mr Farage later tweeted another image from the pub writing: "To all those screaming and shouting about me going to the pub.... I have been back from the USA for 2 weeks and I have been tested — the result was negative. Sorry to disappoint you. Cheers!"

Pubs and restaurants across England have reopened their doors for the first time in four months as lockdown measures in the country eased on what has been billed as 'Super Saturday'.