How will Brexit affect your travel plans to Europe next year?

Video report by ITV News Correspondent Romilly Weeks

Europe is the number one overseas destination for UK travellers, with over 58 million trips taken to the continent each year.

While the UK remained in the EU, travel between our neighbours was a simple affair. But whether you are on holiday or business, travelling to Europe will require more preparation once the transition period ends on 31 December.

While terms are still being trashed out, the exact details depend on whether the UK leaves with a deal or not. But here are some answers to the most common questions on what travelling to Europe will look like from 2021.

Delays are likely at border controls. Credit: PA

Will I need health insurance? From the end of January next year British citizens will not be covered by a European Health insurance card (EHIR). While many travel companies always advised people to take out travel insurance - the EHIR did not cover everything - from 2021 this becomes far more important than ever, especially for people with pre-existing health conditions. The EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not, so it is important to thoroughly check your insurance policy's T&Cs.

You may need an international driving licence to drive in Europe from 2021. Credit: PA

Will a UK driving licence be sufficient to drive in Europe? There is still some uncertainty around what documents people will need to drive in Europe, although it is likely you will need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries. If you’re taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker.

Can I still take my pet abroad? Once the UK becomes a third country from 1 January 2021 the existing pet passport scheme will be binned and taking your dog, cat or ferret to Europe will change. Exactly how it will change depends on how the UK severs finals ties wit h the EU. If the UK leaves with no deal, the steps you need to take to ensure you can travel with your pet could take as long as four months, and will require rabies vaccinations, antibody tests, microchips, and animal health certificates (AHC). Your pet would need a new health certificate for each trip to a European Union country. In the event of a deal, the process will be smoother; you will need to apply for documents from an official vet that will replace the current pet passports.

Video report by ITV News Correspondent Martha Fairlie

Will I need a visa? You will not need one as a tourist for short trips to EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You are permitted to stay for 90 days in any 180 day period - but any longer and you may need a permit or visa.

What will border control look like?

No more breezing through border controls once 2021 rolls around, there are likely to be potentially lengthy delays on both sides of the border so do plan ahead. UK citizens will have to use the separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens. You may have to show a return or onward ticket and prove you have enough money to finance your stay.

You’ll need to declare cash of £10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any other country.On the day you travel, your passport will need to be valid for at least another six months and be less than 10 years old even if it has six months remaining on it.

Claire Irvin, travel editor at the Daily Telegraph, on how the travel industry sees post-Brexit travel

Will free mobile roaming end? From 1 January 2021, free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end. How much you will be charged will depend on your phone operator, so be sure to check with them before you travel. A new law caps mobile data charges at £45. When you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad.

Am I covered if my travel company goes bust? You should be. Provided the company targets UK customers, you will be protected if you buy a package holiday and the company goes out of business.