Two arrested on suspicion of attempted murder over racially aggravated hit-and-run attack on NHS worker

Credit: ITV West Country


18-year-old men have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in relation to a racially aggravated hit-and-run attack on an NHS worker, police have said.

The 21-year-old musician, student and part time NHS worker suffered serious injuries including a broken leg, nose and cheekbone in the incident.

The man, who wishes to be known only as K or his stage name K-Dogg, was deliberately struck by a car as he walked in Monks Park Avenue in Horfield, Bristol, after finishing his shift at nearby Southmead Hospital on July 22 at 4.30pm.

K says he will be scarred for life following the incident.

Avon and Somerset Police said the incident is being treated as a racially aggravated attack due to racist language used by the two occupants of the car - who fled the scene.

The two 18-year-old suspects were arrested on Saturday morning and are currently in police custody, the force confirmed.

The vehicle involved in the incident has been seized and police are awaiting the results of a forensic examination that was carried out on it, a force spokesman said.

Police are continuing to take witness statements, complete house-to-house inquiries and ensure any available CCTV has been fully reviewed.

Superintendent Andy Bennett, of Avon and Somerset Police, said: "We appreciate this incident has caused a significant amount of concern but we’d like to stress there is no intelligence or information to indicate there’s a further risk to the public."

K was walking home from a shift at Southmead Hospital in Bristol. Credit: PA

He added: "I know the senior detective overseeing the investigation has spoken personally with the victim to provide as much reassurance as she can and a dedicated contact officer continues to update him about the progress of the investigation."

Supt Bennett said the force continues to work with community leaders, the local authority and the charity Stand Against Racism & Inequality (SARI) - which is supporting K and his family.

"I’d like to thank the many members of the public who have shown their support either by providing us with information or making gestures of solidarity with the victim," Supt Bennett said.

"Bristol is a wonderful city full of diverse communities and I continue to be heartened by its reactions to incidents such as this."

A fundraising page for K - set up by his friend in the wake of the incident - has reached more than £30,000.

K is recovering at home with his sister. Credit: PA

K, a keen footballer, has been left unable to walk without crutches following the incident - only able to sleep sitting up in a chair and requiring regular hospital treatment for his injuries.

Doctors have said it will take a minimum of six months before the 21-year-old is able to do most things - but it will take longer for him to be back to full fitness.

He has been left permanently scarred, with surgeons unable to remove glass and grit in his face.

A fundraising page set up by his friend Simeon Mccarthy has received more than £31,000 in donations, and has been supported by the band Massive Attack.

Mr Mccarthy said the money would go directly to K to support him through his recovery "in whichever way he sees fit".