Ex-Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre tipped to lead Ofcom

Paul Dacre has been tipped to be the next chair of Ofcom. Credit: PA

Former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre has been tipped to become the next chair of broadcast regulator Ofcom.

The 71-year-old, who stepped down from the helm of the newspaper in 2018, is said to be Boris Johnson’s preferred candidate for the job.

The Sunday Times reported that Dacre was “wooed” by the prime minister over drinks in Downing Street in February, and is now in talks with Number 10.

During his editorship of the Daily Mail, Dacre was critical of the BBC – which he would regulate if he was made Ofcom chair.

The Sunday Times also reported that Lord (Charles) Moore, the former editor of the Daily Telegraph, has been asked to take up the post of BBC chair.

Ofcom chair Lord (Terence) Burns is due to leave before the end of the year, while BBC chair Sir David Clementi will stand down in February.

Lord Moore has previously criticised the criminalisation of people who refuse to pay the licence fee.

A Government spokesperson said the processes are yet to open.

“We will launch the application process for the new chair of the BBC shortly,” they said.

“It is an open recruitment process and all public appointments are subject to a robust and fair selection criteria.”