Meghan and Harry: News agency 'apologises over alleged drone pictures' of baby Archie

Credit: PA

A news agency has said sorry to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after drones were allegedly used to take photographs of their son Archie, the couple’s lawyer has said.

Harry and Meghan launched legal action in Los Angeles in July, claiming an individual had photographed baby Archie at their home during the coronavirus lockdown.

The couple claimed the pictures, targeting then 14-month-old Archie, were an invasion of privacy.

In a statement on Thursday, their lawyer Michael Kump, of Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump LLP, said the agency responsible, X17, had apologised and agreed a "reimbursement of legal fees".

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Credit: Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA Images

Mr Kump described the "paparazzi photos" as "intrusive and illegal".

He added: "The agency responsible for those photos, X17, apologised and agreed to a permanent injunction and reimbursement of legal fees. This is a successful outcome.

"All families have a right, protected by law, to feel safe and secure at home."

Court documents from the Los Angeles County Superior Court said that the photos were of Archie with has grandmother, Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland.

X17 has also agreed to turn over the photos to the family, destroy any copies in its archives or databases and never again traffic in any photos of the couple or their son taken by drone, zoom or telephoto lenses "in any private residence or the surrounding private grounds".

The couple are no longer working members of the royal family, having stepped back from the roles Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA

In their lawsuit, the Duke and Duchess had claimed they lived "unmolested" in North Saanich, Canada, for six weeks before the media published their new location.

They said publishing the details had led to "up to 40 paparazzi and media organisations descending on this peaceful community from hundreds of miles away".

Their move to Los Angeles earlier this year to the "gated community at the generosity of a friend" was similarly exposed, the couple said, resulting in further distress.

Drones have been flown 20ft above their house as often as three times a day, according to the lawsuit, while some of the pictures of Archie have been sold.

Meghan and Harry with the duchess’ mother Doria Ragland who has been a presence in Archie’s life Credit: Ben Stansall/PA

Helicopters have also flown over the residence as early as 5.30am and as late as 7pm, the legal papers say, which had the effect of “waking neighbours and their son, day after day”.

Holes were also cut into the security fence by photographers, the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit was prompted by "the relentless and quite frankly shocking efforts of the tabloid media" to "profit from serial intrusions" on Archie’s privacy, it states.

The former royal couple want to do what is "necessary to protect their children from this manufactured feeding frenzy".

The lawsuit cites California’s privacy laws - which make photographing or filming anyone in their homes by use of drone or telephoto lenses illegal.

Harry and Meghan have retained roles at the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust Credit: Jeremy Selwyn/Evening Standard/PA

Because Harry and Meghan do not know who took the pictures, the lawsuit initially targeted unnamed defendants, which allowed the couple to pursue, through subpoenas, anyone selling the images.

Harry and Meghan, who departed the royal family in March, saying they wanted a more private life, "seek no special treatment whatsoever" and only want the right to privacy.

The lawsuit is the latest in the couple’s war against what they describe as an intrusive tabloid media.

Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers, publisher of the two titles Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, over articles which featured parts of a “private and confidential” letter from the duchess to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.