Noel Clarke: Metropolitan Police receive report of sex offences following allegations against Viewpoint actor

Noel Clarke at the Baftas
20 women made allegations of sexual harassment and bullying against Clarke. Credit: PA

The Metropolitan Police say they are assessing a third party report relating to claims of sexual offences committed by a male, after allegations were made against actor Noel Clarke.

Earlier this week, The Guardian published allegations of sexual harassment and bullying from 20 women who knew Clarke in a professional capacity.

On Friday, the 45-year-old said he “vehemently” denies allegations of sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour but said he will be seeking professional help and has apologised “deeply” for his actions.



In a statement, the police said no investigation is currently taking place.

A Metropolitan Police statement said on Saturday: “On Wednesday April 21, police received a third party report relating to allegations of sexual offences allegedly committed by a male over a period of time.

“Officers are currently assessing the information. There is no investigation at this time.”

The London School of Dramatic Acting (LSDA) also said in a statement on Friday night that Clarke was prevented from taking unsupervised sessions after he hosted an acting class where students were allegedly asked to undress as if they were getting ready to go to bed.

The school said it stopped scheduling Clarke to take unsupervised sessions after being informed about the claims.

Clarke denied the LSDA allegations through his lawyers.

On Friday evening, ITV pulled the concluding episode of drama Viewpoint, which starred the 45-year-old.

(Dominic Lipinski/PA) Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA

Broadcaster Sky, which has aired three series of Clarke’s series Bulletproof, has said it is halting work with Clarke following the accusations.

Following the allegations he has also been suspended from Unstoppable Film and Television, a production company he co-founded in 2007, according to a statement from a spokesperson for parent company All3Media.

Bafta has also suspended Clarke’s membership of the organisation and his outstanding British contribution to cinema award, which he was handed last month at the film academy’s awards.


Clarke made a moving speech after receiving the Bafta award

On Friday, Bafta released a statement explaining why Clarke was awarded the gong.

The film awards said it "did not know about any allegations" prior to the announcement on March 29 that Clarke had won the award.

Updating its members, the organisation said in a letter: "In the days following the announcement, Bafta received anonymous emails of allegations in relation to Noel Clarke.

"These were either anonymous or second or third-hand accounts via intermediaries. No first-hand allegations were sent to us. No names, times, dates, productions or other details were ever provided.

"Had the victims gone on record as they have with The Guardian, the award would have been suspended immediately. Noel Clarke’s counsel received a legal notice to this effect. It was always very clear what our intentions would be."

The lengthy memo added: "We acted as quickly and supportively as we could, even though we had only received the most generic of claims and no actual first-hand information to investigate allegations which were potentially of a criminal nature.

"Having received the same anonymous emails, Noel Clarke contacted Bafta, urgently requesting a conversation and sending numerous texts to do. We confronted him with the anonymous allegations, which he strongly denied."

In a statement released on Friday, Clarke said: “I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing.

“Recent reports however have made it clear to me that some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise.

“To those individuals, I am deeply sorry. I will be seeking professional help to educate myself and change for the better.”


  • Listen to our arts and entertainment podcast - Unscripted