Formula 1 boss Nathalie Maillet killed in suspected double murder-suicide
A Formula 1 boss and ex-racing car driver, Nathalie Maillet, has died in a suspected double murder-suicide, leading to tributes pouring in from the world of motorsport.
Maillet was the chief executive of the Spa-Francorchamps motor-racing track, the current venue of the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix.
According to Belgian media, Maillot's husband Franz Dubois is suspected to have shot Maillot and another woman before killing himself on Sunday in a home in Gouvy.
Police said they found the bodies of two women and one man in a house. All three were found with gunshot wounds.
"According to our information, the male individual voluntarily used his firearm to kill both women, including his wife, before killing himself," police said.
Melchior Wathelet, chair of the board of directors of the Circuit de Spa Francorchamps said on Sunday: "My thoughts are with Nathalie's family, her parents, her loved ones and her teams.
"I know how much this news will upset our teams and I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the entire Circuit team on behalf of the entire Board.
"Today, we are losing a highly respected lady, a true leader who will be greatly missed. Nathalie had become the face of the Circuit, she embodied the passion for racing that we all share.”
Maillet had been CEO at Spa-Francorchamps since 2016 and oversaw the venue's modernisation.
The track is due to host the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of August.