A criminal investigation will not be launched into BBC journalist Martin Bashir's Panorama interview with Princess Diana.
The Metropolitan Police had already said in March it would not launch a criminal investigation into the interview.
But after looking at Lord Dyson's report into the 1995 documentary, with the report published in May, the force doubled down on its decision not to launch an investigation.
It said in a statement on Wednesday: “In March 2021, the Metropolitan Police Service determined it was not appropriate to begin a criminal investigation into allegations of unlawful activity in connection with a documentary broadcast in 1995.
“Following the publication of Lord Dyson’s report in May, specialist detectives assessed its contents and looked carefully at the law, once again obtaining independent legal advice from Treasury Counsel as well as consulting the Crown Prosecution Service.
“As a result, the MPS has not identified evidence of activity that constituted a criminal offence and will therefore be taking no further action.”
The Royal Rota - The latest on Prince Andrew and why Prince Charles' former aide has stepped down
Lord Dyson’s report criticised the methods used by Mr Bashir to obtain the interview with Diana.
It said Mr Bashir commissioned fake bank statements and used "deceitful behaviour" in a "serious breach" of the BBC's producer guidelines to secure his Panorama interview.
Both Prince William and Harry condemned the BBC for its treatment of their mother, saying the interview fuelled her “fear, paranoia and isolation” and a wider “culture of exploitation and unethical practices ultimately took her life”.
Former BBC director-general Lord Tony Hall later said he was “deeply sorry” for the “hurt” caused by the interview scandal, but said there had been no “cover-up” by the BBC.
The BBC also apologised to whistleblower Matt Wiessler, a graphic designer who tried to expose Martin Bashir’s methods. He was sidelined by the corporation after raising concerns.
Martin Bashir later said he “never wanted to harm” Princess Diana with the interview and said he does not "believe we did".
Mr Bashir told The Sunday Times he was “deeply sorry” to the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, but disputed William’s charge that he fuelled her isolation and paranoia.