Idaho shooting: Two killed at shopping centre in US

Police close off a street outside a shopping centre after a shooting in Boise, Idaho Credit: AP

Two people were killed and a further four injured, including a police officer, in a shooting at a shopping centre in Idaho.

A suspect has been taken into custody.

The Boise Towne Square shopping centre is located in Idaho’s largest city and is the city’s largest.

Police on Monday evening said that the suspect was in critical condition at a hospital and that the officer who was hurt had been treated and released. Police haven't released any other information about the victims, officer or the suspect.

The mall had been secured by Monday evening, and police said it would remain closed as the investigation continues.

Boise Police Chief Ryan Lee said the shooting was reported to law enforcement about 1:50 p.m. on Monday, including a report that one person was “shot and down” at that time.

When the officers arrived, they spotted someone who matched the description of the suspect.

“There was an exchange of gunfire that ensued shortly thereafter, resulting in the officer's injury, as well as the suspect being taken into custody,” Lee said.

He said investigators believe there was only one shooter, and there is no ongoing danger to the public.

Credit: PA

“We really cannot at this time speak to any motivation behind it,” Lee said, calling any speculation premature.

“I cannot stress enough how traumatic this event is for the community at large, as well as for those that were witnesses, or are the families of those involved or involved themselves,” Lee said.

Cheri Gypin, of Boise, was in the centre with a friend where they walk for an hour three or four times a week.

She said she heard several large bangs, but thought something had fallen from the ceiling.

Then about 60 people, including families pushing strollers, came running at them, some of them shouting that there was an active shooter.

“My friend was trying to process it,” said Ms Gypin, 60.

“I just looked at her and said, ‘We’ve got to run’.

“So we just ran and kept running until we got to the outer perimeter of the parking lot.”

They made their way back to their car, where police told the crowd of people who had fled the mall to leave the parking area.