UK Power Networks, which owns and maintains electricity cables across the East of England, says it is monitoring the weather closely.
If you have an emergency you can call UK Power Networks on 0800 31 63 105
UK Power Networks have issued the following advice if you have a power cut:
- Keep fridges and freezers closed. Food can usually stay cold for up to 15 hours
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches - local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep and old-fashioned corded telephone which you can plug in as cordless phones won't work if the power is off
- Dress warmly in several layers of clothing, stay in one room or even get into bed
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights or other naked flames
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Look out for elderly neighbours; please consider taken them a flask of hot water or hot food
If you have a power cut, text Power followed by your postcode, (e.g. Power IP3 6QX) to 80876.
UK Power Networks will provide you with regular updates, until your power is restored. All messages sent from them are free to receive but mobile network providers charge one standard message fee for the initial message you send to them.