Report confirms that Clacton gas explosion was an "unfortunate" accident

Fire crews battle the blaze. Credit: Eyewitness Wayne, from Clacton.

One year after a gas explosion destroyed two homes at Clacton-on-sea in Essex, a report has confirmed it was an unfortunate accident.

Ten people were injured in the blast on Cloes Lane, two of whom suffered serious burns.

Investigators from the Health and Safety Executive and Essex Fire Service said it was most likely caused by the ignition of a large volume of gas, leaking from a faulty butane cylinder in one of the houses.

Two houses were 'flattened' by the blast. Credit: ITV News Anglia

Flashback: Clacton explosion picture gallery