The original Southwold pier was 810 feet long and built as a landing stage for the Belle steamships that brought tourists over from London.
In 1934 that landing stage was swept away in a violent storm
In 1937 a two storey pavilion was built at the shore end complete with concert hall and amusement arcade.
A section of the pier was removed during the second world war for fear of an invasion, another part was destroyed by a mine and further damage from storms meant that by the end of the 1970s the pier was only 60 feet long.
Work to rebuild it started in 1999. It was a massive task that was completed in 2001.
In 2002, a T-shape was re-added to the end of the pier
The current length of the pier is 623 feet long
There are 940 planks that stretch out to sea.
The Water Clock was made in three weeks in 1998 by Tim Hunkin and Will Jackson and designed as a feature about water recycling.
Messages for loved ones and memories can be found on plaques around the pier