Widow tells inquest of moment the husband she thought was innocent confessed to murder

Simon Hall Credit: Suffolk Police

A widow who spent years campaigning to prove her husband was innocent of murder has told an inquest of the moment he confessed to her he was in fact a killer.

Stephanie Hall's husband Simon killed himself in prison in 2014, not long after confessing to his wife that he had killed pensioner Joan Albert at her home in Capel St Mary near Ipswich.

Mrs Hall told the inquest she had believed in his innocence and that he had been the victim of a miscarriage of justice.

She said they met in February 2002 while they were working together. He had already murdered Joan Albert in December 2001.

She described Simon Hall as a highly intelligent and compassionate man.He was convicted and sent to prison in February 2003. They kept in touch and in 2006/7 they were in contact more.

She visited him in prison in 2008 and they got married in jail in the December of that year.

The following year she began to campaign on his behalf, believing he'd been the victim of a miscarriage of justice.

In July 2013 he confessed to her on the phone that he had in fact murdered Joan Albert.

She was extremely shocked and it changed their relationship. She felt betrayed, but still loved him. At the time of his death she had still not come to terms with his confession.

In hindsight she could see that in the months leading up to the confession his behaviour had begun to change

The night before he died she spoke to him on the phone. There was no cause for concern and they ended the conversation with him saying he loved her, and she said the same back to him, the first time she'd said it since he confessed to the murder.

Stephanie Hall said her husband wasn't receiving the adequate care and support he needed in prison.

The previous year he had taken two overdoses while he was at Hollesley Bay, in the February and September of 2013.

The jury heard witness statements from mental health nurses and a Governor at Hollesley Bay who said by September 2013 Hall was on close supervision as he was judged to be at a high risk of suicide or self harm, especially after his two overdose attempts.

No telephone handover took place when Hall was transferred to Wayland, but there was sufficient documentation to make staff at the new prison aware of the risks he might pose to himself.

You can watch Victoria Lampard's story on this below.