An inquest has heard that warnings were ignored at a BUPA care home in Essex before the death of a resident from Legionnaires' disease.
Retired businessman Kenneth Ibbetson, 86, was a resident at the Hutton Village care home in Brentwood.
The inquest in Chelmsford was told the care home manager was only trained in the hazards of Legionnaires' disease after the death of Mr Ibbetson.
He was taken to hospital in June 2015 and diagnosed with pneumonia. His condition rapidly deteriorated and he died three days later. A post mortem revealed he'd died of Legionnaires' disease.
The Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation and inspectors found legionella bacteria in Mr Ibbetson's ensuite bathroom at the care home.
The jury were told there was a high risk of the disease in stagnantwater and at certain temperatures. The care home manager, Susan Green, hadn't been trained in the dangers of the bacteria and warnings in two risk assessments were ignored.
Since Mr Ibbetson's death, Miss Green said the care home has made anumber of improvements. The inquest is due to last until Friday.