1. ITV Report

Jailed: Driver who led police on 30-minute chase through Cambridgeshire

Freddie Shepherd was jailed for more than a year. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

A driver who led police on a 30-minute chase through Fenland villages after being spotted by an off-duty officer has been jailed.

Freddie Shepherd, 43, of no fixed address, was seen by the officer in Elwyn Road, March, but fled at high speed when he was directed to pull over.

Instead he led them on a pursuit, speeding at 50mph in a 30mph village and forcing two vehicles off the road.

Shepherd came to a dead end but reversed at high speed, ramming a police dog unit vehicle which was carrying a 14-month old police dog.

The chase finished when Shepherd’s vehicle crashed into a telegraph pole in Eastwood End, Wimblington.

Shepherd's vehicle after the chase. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

“His manner of driving fell far below that of a competent driver and was on a number of occasions very dangerous, ramming a police car, travelling at high speed in a built up area, crossing gardens and failing to stop. “Shepherd showed a blatant disregard for law enforcement and despite being given multiple opportunities to stop and end the pursuit he continually put people in danger to facilitate his escape and evade been arrested.”

– Det Con Chris Smith

Shepherd was arrested and found to have two knuckle dusters and a small knife on him.

His passenger, a woman in her late 20s, was also arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to steal, and has since been released under investigation.

The pair were both taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn to be treated for minor injuries, but later discharged.

Shepherd admitted dangerous driving, driving without a licence, driving without insurance and two counts of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.

He was sentenced to 15 months in prison at Cambridge Crown Court.

He has also been disqualified from driving for three years and seven months, must take an extended re-test and pay a £140 victim surcharge.

The chase finished when Shepherd crashed into a telegraph pole. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police