An Essex council is to be prosecuted after a man contracted Legionnaire's Disease at one of its leisure centres.
A Health and Safety Executive investigation was launched at the Lifestyles sports centre in Walton-on-the-Naze after man was taken to hospital in 2016.
Bacteria was discovered in the showers and fitness rooms.
Ian Davidson, chief executive of Tendering District Council, has reassured residents that systems had been changed as a result.
“It would be inappropriate for me to comment further about this specific incident and the charge ahead of the court case,” he said. “However, I would once again like to reiterate our apologies to the individual concerned.
“As soon as we became aware of the presence of Legionella bacteria at the new facility at Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles we moved to address the issue immediately, with the centre closed for three months while remedial works took place.
“Our investigation was quickly widened to include a review of our systems and practices right across the council and, working alongside the HSE, these are now extremely rigorous.
“We have been open and transparent throughout this process.”