Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Asbestos warning issued to residents close to fire site

Photo:

Residents living close to the site of a major blaze in Kettering have been warned the building may have contained asbestos.

Dozens of firefighters tackled the fire at The Kettering Bedding Centre in Regent Street on Monday.

Kettering Borough Council has contacted local people but have assured them that there is no evidence so far of any contamination outside of the building.

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue advise any potential spread is likely to be over a limited area, if at all. During fires, Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) may become damaged and depending on the ferocity of the fire, fragments of ACM can be spread by the fire.

The council says the risks to health are low and there is unlikely to be any significant exposure to asbestos following fires involving ACM.