- Click below to watch a video report by ITV News Anglia's Malcolm Robertson
Sir James Dyson has donated almost 19 million pounds to his former school in Norfolk.
It's to fund a new science, technology, engineering, arts and maths centre at Gresham's in Holt.
It should open in 2021.
Our reporter Malcolm Robertson spoke to Sir James about his time at Gresham's and his donation.
- Born in Cromer in 1947, what are your earliest memories of your childhood in North Norfolk?
- Your father was a teacher at Gresham’s and would have died shortly after you started, what impact did that have on a very young boy at the time?
- How did you go about being different, how did you, in those months of grief, deal with it?
- And I suppose there was the fear you might have to leave Gresham’s because of you father’s death?
- And I suppose you always felt that you owe Gresham’s and Logie a debt of gratitude?
- So it allowed you to be yourself really?
- So tell us how you’d like to help the school in return for their generosity to you?
- And this will be up and running in 2021?
- How do you see it working?
- I remember you saying you pretty much stumbled into engineering that was a pretty luck stumble really wasn’t it?
- Do you think we do enough to encourage in schools? So engineering and technology and entrepreneurs?
- So how do we change that perception do you think?
- But in twenty years time will we be doing enough to keep them and encourage those ideas and sort of inspire the entrepreneurs of the future?
- You’ve obviously got a very good reason for choosing Gresham's, but what would you say to those who perhaps would say that it’s a privileged school, that perhaps you should be investing in state education rather than a private school like Greshams?
- I was talking to somebody who’s been to Gresham's more recently than you, and was saying that the technology centre there… they described it as “scruff shacks”... is that a term that was used when you were there?
- So, we began in North Norfolk; let’s finish in North Norfolk. Do you still go up there now? Do you have any ties up there?
- And I guess Logie Bruce-Lockhart has been quite an inspiration and a great friend to you?