The Foreign Secretary has met with the US Ambassador and urged the country to "reconsider its position" on the diplomatic immunity given to a suspect in the case of a teenager killed in a road crash.
Dominic Raab spoke with Woody Johnson on Tuesday to urge him to "do the right thing" by the family of 19-year-old Harry Dunn, who died after his motorbike crashed into a car on August 27. The vehicle was thought to have been driving on the wrong side of the road after leaving RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire - a military base used by the US Air Force.
The suspect in the case, 42-year-old Anne Sacoolas, who is reportedly married to a US intelligence official, was granted diplomatic immunity after the crash, prompting calls from the Prime Minister, the Foreign Secretary and Northamptonshire Police for the US to consider waiving it.
The force's chief constable Nick Adderley said US authorities had been appealed to in "the strongest terms" to apply a waiver and "allow the justice process to take place" after Mrs Sacoolas left the UK despite telling officers she did not plan to do so.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson also urged the US to reconsider its decision to give immunity to the diplomat's wife, saying: "I do not think it can be right to use the process of diplomatic immunity for this type of purpose."
Prior to the meeting with the US Ambassador, Mr Raab raised the case in a telephone call with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
After the meeting on Tuesday, a Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "The Foreign Secretary met the US Ambassador today and urged the US to reconsider its position and do the right thing by Harry Dunn's family."
A crowdfunding page set up for Harry's family to begin their "campaign to search for justice" and to help Harry's twin brother Niall has now raised its target to £50,000 after receiving £13,000 in six days.
Despite saying the family felt "supported" by people from around the world, Harry's mother Charlotte Charles says it has still been a very difficult process. She said "We've had many words of comfort but nothing is going to really help us... we can't start to grieve - it's been very, very difficult."
Asked if she had had any contact from Mrs Sacoolas after the crash, Ms Charles said: "Nothing. Absolutely nothing".
The Foreign Office declined to comment on claims while the US embassy have not been available to provide a comment.