1. ITV Report

Claims Harry Dunn's injuries weren't considered life threatening

There are claims that the injuries suffered by Harry Dunn were not considered life-threatening by emergency call handlers, despite "breaking every major bone" in a collision described as a "crash fireball".

The 19-year-old was forced to wait for paramedics for 43 minutes after the emergency call was "wrongly categorised" the family's spokesman said.

Harry Dunn Credit: Harry's family

Mr Dunn's family met with chief executive of East Midlands Ambulance Service Richard Henderson and director of quality Nichola Bramhall to discuss the delay.

The family's spokesman Radd Seiger said Harry's parents, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, are "full of praise" for the work of the paramedics on the scene, but said the delay in getting to their son was "worrying".

The family are currently pursuing a civil claim for damages which could be worth "millions of dollars" against the suspect in the case, 42-year-old Anne Sacoolas, after she was granted diplomatic immunity in the days following the crash.

RAF Croughton Credit: ITV Anglia

It's understood that the first call made by a witness to the collision was put in category two, which are incidents of a potentially serious condition, by ambulance staff - which estimates a waiting time of 40 minutes for patients.

If the teenager's condition was considered as category one, which is described as life-threatening and needing immediate intervention, ambulance crews should aim to attend in seven minutes under NHS England guidelines.

"Both parties agreed it was not acceptable in the 21st century for a 19-year-old boy to be lying on the side of the road waiting for help for 43 minutes. It actually got recorded as a category two call, but that is something that they couldn't go into. A serious road traffic collision should be recorded as category one - he had compound fractures and he was clearly very seriously ill from the start."

– Radd Seiger, family spokesman

Despite being wrongly categorised, Mr Seiger says the delay would have been the same regardless because all 22 crews stationed in Northamptonshire were on other calls.

After a request from the family, I met with Harry Dunn's parents to offer my sincere condolences on the death of their 19-year-old son. I wanted to take the opportunity to hear from the family at this stage, whilst recognising the complexities and sensitivities of ongoing external legal investigations. I understand that this is a very difficult time for the family and I therefore appreciate the time I had with them. In due course there will be a Coroner's inquest into the death of Harry Dunn and EMAS will cooperate fully with that inquiry.

– Richard Henderson, East Midlands Ambulance Service

More on this story