Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Nick Conrad stands down as Conservative candidate after rape comments row

Nick Conrad had been set to contest the Broadland seat for the Conservatives. Credit: .

The newly-selected Conservative candidate for Broadland in Norfolk has stood down after just 24 hours following widespread condemnation of comments he made about rape on his radio show five years ago.

The former BBC Radio Norfolk presenter issued what he called a heartfelt apology for his comments but said the media attention had become a distraction.

He said that he viewed success for the Conservatives as the most important thing and that he would reluctantly stand down to allow another candidate to fight for the seat.

  • Below is the full statement from Nick Conrad.

“Five years ago I made ill-judged comments during an on-air radio discussion for which I made a genuine and heartfelt apology.

“Last night I was honoured to be made the Conservative candidate for Broadland and had hoped to become the MP for a constituency which is close to my heart.

“However it has become clear to me that the media attention on my previous comments have become a distraction.

“For me, the most important thing is for the Conservative Party to be successful in the forthcoming election - getting Brexit done and delivering on the people’s priorities.

“This is why I have reluctantly concluded I must stand down to allow one of the other excellent candidates the opportunity to win this fantastic seat.

“I would like to thank Broadland Conservative Association for their support and wish the party every success in the election on December 12.”

– Nick Conrad

More on this story