Minute's silence for former Cambridge University students killed in terror attack

A minute's silence has been held in Cambridge in honour of two former students who died in the London Bridge terror attack.

Former Cambridge University students Saskia Jones, 23, and Jack Merritt, 25, were killed by 28-year-old convicted terrorist Usman Khan in Friday's attack.

The silence outside the Guildhall in Cambridge took place at the same time as one in London.

Jack's girlfriend was comforted by family members at the vigil in Cambridge Credit: PA

Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn and Mayor of London Sadiq Khan all attended to pay tribute to the victims of the attack.

Mr Khan said: "We come together this morning as Londoners to remember, to honour and to mourn the innocent lives lost as a result of this horrific terrorist attack on Friday.

"The best way to defeat this hatred is not by turning on one another but by focusing on the values that bind us."

Political leaders gathered for a vigil in London Credit: ITV Anglia

The second victim of the London Bridge terror attack, Saskia Jones, is from Stratford-upon-Avon.

A graduate at the University of Cambridge, she was a volunteer on the 'Learning Together programme' co-ordinated by Jack Merritt from Cottenham, who was the first victim to be named.

“Jack Merritt, our beautiful, talented boy, died doing what he loved, surrounded by people he loved and who loved him. He lit up our lives and the lives of his many friends and colleagues, and we will miss him terribly.

Statement from the family of Jack Merritt
23-year old Saskia Jones died in the London terror attack. Credit: Family photo

“Saskia was a funny, kind, positive influence at the centre of many people’s lives. She had a wonderful sense of mischievous fun and was generous to the point of always wanting to see the best in all people.

Statement from the family of Saskia Jones
Saskia Jones is the second victim to be named by police. Credit: Family photo

One of the three other people injured in the London Bridge incident has now been released from hospital.

Two people remain in hospital a stable condition.

Jack Merritt. Credit: Family photo