Firefighters were called to a houseboat fire at King Edward Quay in Colchester earlier this evening. The resident had returned home and immediately called the Fire Service when he saw the boat was filled with smoke.

On arrival, crews reported that a houseboat was 100% smoke logged and worked to extinguish the fire by 8:04pm.

Two dogs were rescued by firefighters. Crews used oxygen therapy to treat the two Vizla cross dogs for smoke inhalation and gave CPR to one of the dogs.

Watch manager Ian Ryder said: “Despite the firefighter’s best efforts, sadly one of the dogs died at the scene. Both dogs were left in the care of a vet.

“The cause of the fire was an electrical fire and it has been recorded as accidental.”

The boat suffered smoke damage.