Dog dies and family homeless after fridge freezer causes flat fire in Essex village

A dog has died and a family have been left without a home after a fire in a village near Braintree.

An electrical fault on a fridge freezer caused the fire at a block on Jeffrey's Road in Cressing just after 10am on Wednesday, 15 January.

It left the building's hallway 100% smoke logged, according to Essex Fire and Rescue.

They had been called to the village by a neighbour who had heard smoke alarms going off.

A dog died at the scene, and the family that lived there are now searching for a new place.

Watch Manager Paul Burder from Braintree Fire Station said: “This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home and we want to encourage everyone to check they have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home. Make sure to test your smoke alarms weekly."