Entire lung removed by keyhole surgery in a world first at Royal Papworth Hospital

A retired milkman from Peterborough has had his entire lung removed through a tiny two inch keyhole surgery in a world first at Royal Papworth Hospital.

74-year-old Raymond Page had developed stage 3 cancer, the most dangerous form of the disease.

  • Click below to watch our report from Matthew Hudson

  • See the full interview with Raymond Page talking to ITV News Anglia reporter Matthew Hudson

The operation lasted three hours and during that time surgeons detached the lung and compressed it before it was removed through a 2 inch in Mr Page's abdomen, between his ribs.

That helped reduce the pain and the time he spent in hospital.

Raymond Page surrounded by the team involved in the operation Credit: Royal Papworth Hospital

“I must admit that I was a touch apprehensive when I was initially being told about the technique and the possibility of being the first patient, but the team were brilliant at laying out all the options and I was happy to go ahead. They have done a marvellous job and I cannot thank everyone at Royal Papworth enough. I had the occasional bit of pain when coughing for the first day but that’s it really - I could walk and move about fine even just a couple of days afterwards which I really was not expecting. I was thinking that it might take up to 10 days to recover but I went home after six days and there was no pain whatsoever. I’m sure my wife of almost 51 years, Jo, and all my grandchildren will keep me on my toes as I continue my rehabilitation!”

Raymond Page
Raymond Page with surgeon Giuseppe Aresu Credit: Royal Papworth Hospital

Normally surgeons have to make an incision about four times that size and it can lead to recovery taking several months.

“I saw Mr Page at his pre-op clinic and also went to see him in critical care after surgery and he looked amazing considering the short space of time since his operation. We provide a telephone link-line call to all patients once they have been discharged home to see how they are recovering and provide any advice if necessary. On the second call, just a fortnight after his operation, he was sounding remarkably well. It’s always rewarding for us as a team to know that we have played our part in helping our patients on the road to a full recovery.”

Georgina Howell, specialist nurse
Royal Papworth Hospital Credit: ITV Anglia