1. ITV Report

More than 100 people released from two-week quarantine in Milton Keynes

  • Video report by ITV News Anglia's Charlie Frost

More than 100 people have been released from quarantine in Milton Keynes.

The group spent two weeks at Kents Hill conference centre after being brought back to the UK on a repatriation flight from the city of Wuhan.

All 118 people released on Sunday tested negative for coronavirus.

Joe Harrison, Chief Executive of Milton Keynes Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We are delighted for our guests that they are able to leave the centre with confirmation that they have tested negative for coronavirus.

“We would like to thank staff at Kents Hill Park Conference Centre and our NHS and Public Health England* staff for their incredible hard work in setting up and running the facility."

Coronavirus evacuee Paul Walkinshaw speaking to the media after leaving Kents Hill Park Training and Conference Centre Credit: PA

Some of those released from the centre have described the experience as "hard" but praised staff for looking after them.

Paul Walkinshaw was visiting the city of Shiyan for Chinese New Year when family members contacted them and told them about the virus outbreak.

The first 48 hours were probably the worst because we were confined to our bedrooms and until we got the first test results we couldn't speak to anyone or go anywhere, it was just Netflix and internet all the time.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get home is sleep in my own bed.

– Paul Walkinshaw, Coronavirus evacuee
A car leaves Kents Hill Park Training and Conference Centre in Milton Keynes where Coronavirus evacuees were released Credit: PA

The group, which includes 105 British nationals and their family members, have been regularly tested for any signs of the virus during the 14-day quarantine period.

The government says no new UK cases had been detected.

It comes as a repatriation flight carrying 32 British and European evacuees from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan landed back in the UK yesterday (22 February).

Passengers have been taken by road to Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral, where they will be placed in quarantine for 14 days.

More on this story