Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Fire service warning after laptop charger blaze leaves Essex family homeless

Essex fire have warned people to take care when charging laptops Credit: ITV Anglia

A family from Essex have been left homeless after a laptop charger caught fire amid the coronavirus lockdown.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters were called to the house in Five Acres in Harlow on Wednesday afternoon.

Crews reported that there was a blaze in a bedroom and they managed to put it out by 4.19pm - within 21 minutes of receiving the call.

The blaze began after a laptop left charging on a bed caught fire, the service said.

The people in the house immediately left and dialled 999 when they saw the flames.

The incident has prompted a warning from the fire service as more and more people are working from home due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The house in Five Acres was left damaged by smoke Credit: ITV Anglia

"The residents did absolutely the right thing by getting out, staying out, and calling the fire service out. "Please be careful when charging things like laptops and phones - they can quickly overheat. Make sure to charge them on a flat surface like a table and not on a surfacethat can catch fire easily, like bedding."

– Watch manager Steve Harrison, from Harlow Fire Station

More on this story