Cambridge bus carrying school students catches fire

Dramatic photos show firefighters battling the blaze on the school bus.

Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
Dramatic photos show firefighters battling the blaze on the Cambridge bus. Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service

School students were forced to flee from a bus after it caught fire on the way to school.

Dramatic pictures show fire crews tackling the bus engulfed in flames on Wednesday morning.

The incident happened at 8.34am on Pheasant Rise in Bar Hill near Cambridge. The bus, which was operated by the local council, was on its way to Swavesey Village College when the fire started.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the young people were "evacuated quickly and safely thanks to the fast actions of the driver", with the bus evacuated when crews arrived.

The service confirmed the cause of the fire was accidental.

A plume of smoke was seen in the area as fire crews tackled the bus blaze. Credit: @bproudfoot66/Twitter

The students, who were all unhurt, have now been taken to school.

Claire Mills, Acting Headteacher, said: “This morning, a bus carrying 20 of our students caught fire on its route to the College. Thankfully, the fire started off very small and the bus driver was able to immediately evacuate all students from the bus and get them to a safe distance as quickly as possible. None of our students were physically harmed by the incident.

“All students were then picked up by another bus and safely transported to school, where they were met on arrival by our Designated Safeguarding Lead and Headteacher, who spoke with them and provided support with any concerns or worries. We have also contacted the parents of all students involved to offer further support and guidance in the coming days.

“We are very grateful to all those who protected the safety of our students during this incident, including the bus driver, the bus company and the team at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue. If our parents and students have any concerns or queries, they should not hesitate to contact their child’s house office.”

A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Firefighters arrived to find a well-developed fire involving a double decker bus.

"Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire using hose reels and jets. They returned to their station by 11am." 

The fire was put out and Saxon Way in Bar Hill was closed while crews made sure the area was safe. Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know