Essex firefighters tackle fire in Basildon terraced houses due to 'discarded cigarette'

Credit: Essex Fire and Rescue Service

Basildon house fire Pitseaville Grove, Basildon.
The fire at Pitseaville Grove, Basildon. Credit: Essex Fire and Rescue Service

Emergency services tackled a fire which spread through a row of terraced houses because of a cigarette.

Essex Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene at about 1pm on Monday after the fire started at a house in Pitseaville Grove in Basildon in Essex.

It spread through a row of terraced houses, with pictures showing heavy smoke and damage to the roofs.

It was put out at 3.40pm but fire crews remained at the scene into Monday evening to dampen down hot spots and the house where the fire started was badly damaged.

Four of the other properties will be assessed by structural engineers, the fire service said.

It is believed a discarded cigarette may have caused the fire, which has been recorded as accidental.

Firefighters remain at the scene on Monday evening. Credit: Essex Fire Service

Group Manager Mark Eaglestone said: "The fire started to the rear of a mid-terrace house, spread through the property and into the roof. It then affected the roofs of five other terraced properties.

"Crews worked extremely hard to create a fire break and did a fantastic job of stopping it from spreading further."

The local authority and Swan Housing have found temporary accommodation for the families affected.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know