Man stranded on roof after failed raid on Ipswich jewellers is brought down by Suffolk Police

A man who climbed on to a town-centre rooftop has been brought down safely by police investigating a failed raid on a jewellers.

A busy street in Ipswich was cordoned off on Thursday morning after police were called to reports of a break-in at Carats Jewellers on Buttermarket, which brought much of the town to standstill.

The family-run jeweller, which has been in business since 1985, was targeted just after 4.30am on Thursday.

At midday, negotiations were continuing with the man, with large numbers of police and emergency service workers at the scene.

He was brought down safely shortly after 1.30pm, having been given food and blankets to keep him warm in the driving rain.

Police have been on the scene since about 4.30am on Thursday. Credit: ITV News Anglia

The disruption caused some consternation and frustration for many, with businesses unable to open while the police operation continued.

Damian Thompson, who works on the Catchey's Pound a Bowl fruit and veg stall, said: "We got here at 5am and there was already police tape everywhere.

"It's horrendous. With the weather and this as well, it's done us no favours. This is a massive loss. It's cost loads of money.

"You've got three banks down there that can't even open."

Those views were echoed by Dr Sachin Karale, Chair of the town's Hindu Temple and local activist, said the disruption was "disappointing".

"We are trying to get this town back to life, we are working hard day in and day out."

Leo Armstrong told ITV News Anglia: "It's a disaster. You've closed every other business and his mother down here for one man on a roof.

"You've got more police here now then you did for Ipswich going to the Premier League," he joked.

All emergency services were called to the scene. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A cherry picker hydraulic platform had earlier been moved into position to the rear of the building, allowing police to speak directly to the man.

A male suspect had attempted to flee from the jewellers by climbing on to the roof of the premises, said police.

Forensics officers were seen carrying out their work at the business.

The cordon was eventually lifted by police at around 1.40pm finally allowing businesses and shops on the usually busy pedestrian thoroughfare to reopen.

A 50-year-old man was detained by police and then taken to hospital as a precaution.

Police said they would like to thank local businesses and the public for their patience and understanding.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know