Northampton Saints' captain to miss Lions' tour

Dylan Hartley banned for 11 weeks after being found guilty of swearing at ref during Aviva Premiership final

Live updates

Dylan Hartley's troubled disciplinary record

This is not the first time Northampton captain Dylan Hartley has been suspended.

Hartley's disciplinary record is long and includes incidents of eye-gouging, biting and punching, as detailed here:

  • April 2007 - Banned for 26 weeks for eye-gouging Wasps forwards James Haskell and Jonny O'Connor.
  • March 2012 - Banned for eight weeks for biting Ireland forward Stephen Ferris in a Six Nations match.
  • December 2012 - Banned for two weeks for punching Ulster hooker Rory Best in a Heineken Cup match.
  • May 2013 - Sent off in the Aviva Premiership final and banned for 11 weeks after being found guilty of verbally abusing a match official.


Rugby bosses take tough action over Hartley's cheat jibe at ref

The Rugby Football Union has issued a statement about the 11 week suspension of Northampton Saints captain Dylan Hartley.

His plea of not guilty to swearing at ref Wayne Barnes was overruled by the panel. His suspension of 12 weeks was reduced by one to reflect his good conduct at the hearing.

We cannot get around the fact that Wayne Barnes was certain that Mr. Hartley’s comments were directed at him. Wayne Barnes said that if he had had any doubt in his mind, then he would have given the player the benefit of the doubt. In terms of sanction, calling a referee a cheat is an attack on his integrity and contrary to the core values of rugby and therefore we have taken a serious view and provided a serious sanction.”

– Judge Jeff Blackett


Red card Hartley to face disciplinary panel

Northampton's Dylan Hartley shows his dejection after the Aviva Premiership Final at Twickenham, London. Credit: Tim Ireland/PA Wire

Northampton Saints captain Dylan Hartley is appearing at an RFU Disciplinary Hearing after becoming the first player to be sent off during a Premiership final.

Hartley was sent off for alleged verbal abuse of a match official in the Aviva Premiership final against Leicester Tigers at Twickenham.

Back to top