Live updates


RSPCA search for owners of cat found with serious airgun injuries

The black and white cat was found staggering along Alton Park Road with a broken leg.

The RSPCA is searching for the owners of a cat who was found with serious injuries in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex.

The black and white cat was found staggering along Alton Park Road with a broken leg by a concerned member of the public.

The cat - thought to be around six-years-old - has been receiving veterinary care since being taken in by the RSPCA.

Chief inspector Sam Garvey said: “She has a horrible break to her back leg and x-rays revealed three pellets lodged inside her leg and chest.

“It’s not clear whether her leg was broken at the same time as the airgun attack but she appears to have been shot some time ago as there are no fresh wounds.

“She is a lovely cat and, other than the injuries, was in good condition when she was found on 9 December. We think she is a family pet who has gone missing and it’s likely there is someone out there who is desperately missing her.

“Unfortunately, she is not microchipped and had no collar or identification tag when she was found so we’re appealing to the public to get in touch if they know where she may have come from.

“We’re also investigating the circumstances around how she came to suffer such awful injuries and would encourage anyone with any information to get in touch by calling our inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018.”

Five-year-old boy found with gun cartridges at school

Police confirm the gun cartridges were confiscated. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A five-year-old boy was found with two gun cartridges at a primary school in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex.

Teachers at the school made the discovery and called the police.

They seized the cartridges and spoke to the pupil and his family.

Police refused to disclose where the incident took place or how the pupil came to be in possession of the ammunition.

An Essex Police spokesman confirmed the gun cartridges were confiscated.

Man jailed for life for Clacton murder

A man has been jailed for life for the murder of another man in Clacton town centre in April.

Darren Gilbert, 22, of Holland Road, Clacton, appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court today, and was told he will serve a minimum of 20 years in jail for murdering James Gregoire.

Mr Gregoire, 54, was stabbed following an altercation which spread across a number of streets in April.

Senior investigating officer, DCI Morgan Cronin, said

Darren Gilbert jailed for life today for the murder of a man in Clacton Credit: Essex Police

"Darren Gilbert is a dangerous man who will now have a long time behind bars to think about his actions.

– DCI Morgan Cronin, Essex Police


Three new beaches to open in Clacton-on-Sea

Three new beaches are opening in Clacton-on-Sea. Credit: ITV News Anglia

Another three beaches will open along Clacton seafront today in the latest section of a £36 million coastal protection scheme.

It follows the completion of three other beaches last week

It now means 17 of the 23 new beaches will be in use for the rest of the summer.

The overall length of the upgrade will be 5km of coastline.

Phase two of multi-million pound defence scheme underway in Essex

Phase two of a multi-million pound defence scheme that is protecting thousands of homes and transforming part of our coastline in Essex is well underway.

Work on three miles of shoreline between Holland-on-Sea and Clacton Pier has already resulted in sand levels rising by around 15 feet (4.57 metres).

Phase Two of the £36 million improvements funded by Essex County Council and the Environment Agency is now in full swing.

Click below to watch a report by Victoria Lampard:

Elderly man rescued from the sea

An elderly man was rescued from the sea at Clacton in Essex after getting into difficulty in the water.

The 77-year-old from Ipswich was spotted face down off the town’s beach yesterday afternoon by members of the public and one of Tendring District Council’s Beach Patrol team.

Beth Higgins was making her wayback to the boathouse from a regular patrol when she saw the man and went to help three people get him out of the water.

An off-duty nurse checked the man over and stayed with him along with members of the team until paramedics and an ambulance arrived and took him to hospital.

Load more updates