Live updates

Former daughter-in-law rewarded for 'Fast Eddie' tip-off

Eddie Maher, who fled to the US after stealing a security van in 1993. Credit: PA images.

The former daughter-in-law of the fugitive thief Eddie Maher has received a cash reward - three years after telling police that he had fled to the US.

Jessica King's tip-off eventually led to the conviction of "Fast Eddie" who stole a security van holding over £1.2m from Felixstowe in 1993.

Security company G4S had originally offered a £100,000 reward but it is believed Ms King received just £10,000.

G4S was unable to recover any of the stolen money.

A spokesman said the company "appreciates Ms King's actions and the hard work of the police".

"We are grateful to Jessica King for the information supplied to the authorities that led to Eddie Maher's arrest and later conviction.

"While no money from the robbery was ever returned, we were able to recover some losses through the seizure of Maher's remaining assets, which allowed us to reward Ms King proportionately to what was received."

– G4S spokesman.


"Fast Eddie" jailed after 20 years

It was the security van theft that left police chasing a missing million pounds - and Eddie Maher a fugitive for almost 20 years.

Today justice finally caught up with "Fast Eddie" - as he began a five year jail term for taking the Securicor van from outside the Lloyds Bank in Felixstowe in 1993.

Maher, from South Woodham Ferrers in Essex, fled to America, changed his name and made a new life for himself and his family. But last February he was deported back to the UK.

Malcolm Robertson reports from Southwark Crown Court where Maher finally admitted stealing the money...


UPDATE - Eddie Maher pleads guilty to £1.2m theft

Outlining the case, prosecutor Richard Southern QC said on the day of the theft Maher had been on the delivery run with colleague Peter Bunn, who was responsible for carrying cash from the van to the bank.

He said: "Mr Bunn recalls that when they arrived in Felixstowe the bank was not open and he had to wait a while.

"Once inside he was delayed and tried to contact Mr Maher to tell him. He could not make contact but was not at that point concerned because the radio signal was variable.

"It was not until he came out of the bank that he found the van had disappeared."

It is thought Maher drove the van to nearby Landguard Point where he got into its secure area and loaded about 30 sacks of cash into a stolen getaway vehicle.

Load more updates