Live updates


No further action against Duke of Edinburgh over Sandringham crash

The Duke was involved in a collision in January. Credit: ITV News Anglia

The Duke of Edinburgh is to face no further action over his Sandringham car crash.

97-year old Philip voluntarily surrendered his driving licence on Saturday and he has apologised for his part in an accident on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk when his Land Rover Freelander collided with another car carrying a baby last month, leaving two women needing hospital treatment.

Some 48 hours after the crash he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting criticism.

The Crown Prosecution Service said it has been decided it was not in the public interest to prosecute.

All those involved in the collision have been informed and provided with a full explanation in writing.

"The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 on 17 January this year...We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence."

– Chris Long, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS East of England
The Duke of Edinburgh. Credit: ITV News Anglia

The decision was made after considering all the evidence submitted by the police and in accordance with the two-stage test in the Code for Crown Prosecutors.


Duke of Edinburgh was breath-tested following Sandringham crash

The crash site at Babingley Credit: Archant

Police breath-tested the Duke of Edinburgh - and the driver of another vehicle - following a crash near the Sandringham Estate this afternoon.

A statement from Norfolk Police confirmed both drivers provided negative readings.

A spokesman said it was "force policy" to breath test drivers involved in collisions.

The crash - involving Prince Philip's Landrover and a Kia - took place on the A149 at Babingley, near Sandringham, just before 3pm on Thursday 17 January.

The Duke was uninjured. The female driver of the Kia suffered cuts while a female passenger had an arm injury. Both were treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn and have since been discharged.

Load more updates