Live updates


Man charged with rape of young woman in Suffolk

A man has been charged with the rape of a young woman in Sudbury. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A 28-year-old man has been charged with the rape of a young woman in Suffolk.

It's after the 18-year-old was attacked on Monday May 28th by a path close to First Avenue and Second Avenue in Sudbury.

Marian Pavel, from Cavendish Way in Sudbury, has now been charged with rape and sexual assault.

He remains in custody and is due to appear before Ipswich Magistrates' Court tomorrow (June 6).

Police appeal after woman raped in Sudbury

Suffolk Police are appealing for witnesses to the attack in Sudbury. Credit: ITV News Anglia

Detectives investigating the rape of an 18-year-old woman in Sudbury are renewing appeals for witnesses to come forward.

The attack occurred at around 3.30am yesterday (May 28) morning, off a path near to First Avenue and Second Avenue.

The victim had been from the town centre along the B1115 Waldingfield Road, when she turned left onto a cycle path next to the bus stop directly opposite Wheelers Close.

As she approached an area of grassland, she heard footsteps behind her and was then grabbed by a man who subsequently raped her.

The victim managed to scream out and attracted the attention of two women who came to her assistance, causing the suspect to run away. He made off in the direction of Waldingfield Road.

The suspect is described as white, of small to medium build, with dark curly hair and a dark beard. He was wearing a brown leather jacket and jeans and spoke with a foreign accent.

"This was a terrifying attack on a young woman and she has been incredibly brave in working with our officers to help us try to identify the offender.

"I am directly appealing for anyone who believes they either know, or saw, a man matching the description we have issued, or who was in any of the locations mentioned between 2am and 6am, to contact us without delay.

"I would also like to remind people to avoid walking alone in the early hours of the morning. Always plan your journey home by walking in groups, making arrangements to get a lift with friends, or using a taxi.”

– Detective Superintendent Marina Ericson

Specialist trained officers are continuing to support the victim, as work to identify the offender continues. This includes house-to-house, forensic and CCTV enquiries.

Detectives are appealing for anyone who was in Infinity nightclub on the night in question and believe they saw a man matching the description above to come forward, or anyone who was out in East Street or Waldingfield Road between 2am and 6am.

In particular, they would like to trace two people who were seen by the victim in Waldingfield Road at around 3am, as they could prove to be vital witnesses.

Officers would also like to hear from anyone who drove along these roads between 2am and 6am who may have dashcam footage, or anyone living near to any of the routes mentioned who has private CCTV.

Calls should be made to the Major Investigation Team on 101 quoting reference 29056/18. Alternatively contact the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Cyclist dies after crash with lorry near Sudbury

Police were called shortly before 3pm to Great Waldingfield Credit: ITV News Anglia

A cyclist has died after a crash with a lorry near Sudbury in Suffolk.

Police were called to Lavenham Road in Great Waldingfield on Thursday afternoon (17 May) - a man died at the scene.

The road was closed in both directions, while investigations took place and has since re-opened.

'No roadside tributes' plea from Sudbury crash victim's parents

Jake Page, 19, died following a crash in Sudbury Credit: Suffolk Police

The family of a teenage motorcyclist killed in a crash in Suffolk have asked well-wishers not to leave tributes at the roadside where it happened.

Jake Page, who was 19 and from Great Waldingfield, was seriously injured in the collision involving his black Yamaha motorcycle, a black BMW and a grey Toyota on the A131 at Sudbury.

He was airlifted to Addenbrooke's Hospital on Friday night but later died.

Jake's family thanked people for the support they had received - but asked mourners not to leave tributes at the scene of the crash.

Load more updates