Advertisement

Lauda: Hamilton has accepted Monaco loss but situation still 'tricky'

Hamilton took second at Monaco Credit: Marco Piovanotto/ABACAPRESS.COM

Lewis Hamilton has accepted his defeat in last month's Monaco Grand Prix, says Niki Lauda.

The Mercedes F1 non-executive chairman says the relationship between Stevenage-born Hamilton and team mate Nico Rosberg remains 'tricky'.

The Bad blood between the pair followed an incident in qualifying where an apparent mistake by Rosberg led to yellow flags that thwarted Hamilton's bid to claim pole position.

Hamilton then tweeted on Friday he and Rosberg had spoken, claiming they were now "cool" and "still friends".

Lauda, speaking to Osterreich newspaper, said:"Lewis has now accepted Nico won in Monaco and he was second, which is really no shame," said the three-times champion.

"In Montreal we will get together again and discuss everything. After that the fight will go on for the world championships.

"But with two alphas currently sitting in the best car it is tricky, although given our superiority that in turn makes the races interesting.

"But we will let our drivers race against each other without restriction because whilst tension is quite normal, it can also escalate. Then I get involved as a mentor."