Teen not guilty in Chelmsford murder case

A 16-year-old boy has been cleared of killing a man who was shot dead outside a petrol station, while a second teenager who is accused of pulling the trigger remains on the run.

John Pordage Credit: Family photo

John Pordage, 34, was killed by a single shot to the chest at a BP garage in Chelmsford, Essex, following an altercation with a group of teenagers.

He was returning from a nightclub and on his way to buy cigarettes when he was attacked at around 2.10am on August 5 last year at the garage in Baddow Road.

The garage where John Pordage was shot Credit: ITV Anglia

A 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found not guilty of murder or manslaughter following a four-week trial at Chelmsford Crown Court

Tracy Ayling QC, prosecuting, had told the trial that the 16-year-old was with a second teenager, Bradley Blundell. She said Blundell, who was 17 at the time and is now 18, shot Mr Pordage.

Bradley Blundell

Blundell remains on the run from police, and officers believe he may be using Ibiza as a base.

Crimestoppers and Essex Police are offering a £10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

"We remain determined to locate Bradley Blundell and bring him to trial. I appeal to Bradley to give himself up. We will never give up searching for him and we are liaising with the National Crime Agency and colleagues abroad to locate him."

– DCI Martin Pasmore
Saul Stanley

The 16-year-old boy admitted perverting the course of justice and handling stolen goods.

His co-defendant Saul Stanley, 18, of no fixed address, was found guilty of two counts of possessing a prohibited firearm, one count of possessing ammunition without a certificate and perverting the course of justice.

Flowers marked the spot where John Pordage was shot Credit: ITV Anglia

He was cleared of two further counts of possessing ammunition without a firearms certificate.

He admitted handling stolen goods. Stanley and the 16-year-old are due to be sentenced on March 2.

Click below to watch our report from Serena Sandhu