The Long awaited Listfor this year's Cumbria/Lakeland Book of the Year awards are now in their 28thyear.
This year there were 55 books entered and the Judges, author and columnist Hunter Davies, broadcaster and writer Eric Robson and BBC News broadcaster Fiona Armstrong, have spent the spring months pouring over them.
Founder of the Awards, Hunter Davies had this to say:
Twenty one books made it to the long list and are shown below.
- A Guide to the Milestones,Mileposts and Toll Buildings of Cumbria by Colin Smith. Published by Brow Bottom Enterprises
- Across the Oceansby Margaret Shepherd. Published by Bookcase, Carlisle
- Away My Lads,Away by Jill Mason. Published by Jill Mason, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
- Black Wednesdayby Gordon Routledge. Published by Bookcase, Carlisle
- Christopher at the Lakes edited by SteveMatthews. Published by Bookcase, Carlisle
- Dear Mary, LovePercy edited by Mary Burkett and David Cross. Published by Skiddaw Press, Cockermouth.
- Escape to theLakes by Robert Gambles. Published by Bookcase, Carlisle.
- Gable – Biography of a Lake District Mountain and its Upper Valley by Malcolm Craig. Published by Sigma Press, Ammanford.
- Houses of theLake District by Christopher Holliday and Clive Boursnell. Published by Frances Lincoln Publishers, London.
- Jack’s Yak by KeithRichardson. Published by River Greta Writer.
- Lakeland Lives byPatrick Hoyte. Published by Patrick Hoyte, Wootton Courtenay, Somerset.
- Let the Giants Live– Stories to Share from the Eden Valley by Jacqueline Harris. Published by Penrith Action for Community Transition.
- Mardale – Echoes and Reflections ofa Lost Lake District Community by Shap Local History Society. Published by Shap Local History Society.
- Mountain Biking inthe Lake District by Ian Boydon. Published by Cicerone Press, Milnthorpe.
- Spectral Army ofSouther Field by Steve Matthews. Published by Bookcase, Carlisle.
- The Collected Talesof a Lakeland Lad by Len Hayton. Published by Leonard and Jean Hayton, Levens, Cumbria.
- The English Lakes -A History by Ian Thompson. Published by Bloomsbury Publishing, London.
- The Ferry Inn onWindermere by Ian L Muir. Published by Hayloft Publishing Ltd, Kirkby Stephen.
- The Man WhoCouldn’t Stop Drawing by Chris Wadsworth. Published by Studio Publications, London
- Tour of the EnglishLakes by John R Murray. Published by Frances Lincoln Publishers, London.
- Walking inCumbria’s Eden Valley by Vivienne Crow. Published by Cicerone, Milnthorpe