National Carers’ Week is running from Monday 10th June 2013 to Sunday 16th June and is asking people "Are you prepared to care?"
There are 6.5 million Carers in the UK , but many of these people do not class themselves as official carers despite providing much needed support to their loves ones.
Below is information on how you can find out more about caring and what events are happening during Carers Week in Dumfries and Galloway, the Scottish Borders and Cumbria.
There are approximately 11,500 unpaid carers in the Scottish Borders, with people caring for a partner, a parent or a neighbour.
- NHS Borders is working with the Scottish Borders Council, Borders Carers Centre and the Borders Voluntary Community Care Forum (BVCCF) to host an event on Friday 14th June from 10-2pm at Buccleuch Arms Hotel, St Boswells.
- Booking is required to attend the event on 14th June. Booking for this event can be made through BVCCF on telephone 01896 757290 or by email email@example.com
Cumbria County Council has joined up with many local organisations to host a number of events across the county.
- Tuesday 11th June - 1pm to 3pm, Carers Sing-a-long and afternoon tea at Carlisle Carers
- Thursday 13th June - Carers day trip to Blackpool.
- Information boards are being displayed at the Cumberland Infirmary and Carlisle Library. For further details contact Carlisle Carers on 01228 542156.
- Tuesday 11th June - Carers Wellbeing Day
- Tuesday 11th June - Adult Carers' Lunch Club
- Thursday 13th June - Carers’ Day trip to Blackpool
- Friday 14th June - One-to-one appointment with a solicitor
- For further details contact Eden Carers on 01768 89028
South Lakeland Carers:
- Wednesday 12th June - Launch of new drop-in at Gateway Project
- Thursday 13th June - 2pm to 4pm Heartstart Training and lunch at SLC premises
- Friday 14th June - Chair-based exercises
- For further details contact South Lakeland Carers on 01539 730228.
- West Cumbria Carers:
- Thursday 13th June - Information stand and general awareness raising in Maryport Co-op
- Friday 14th June - Awareness raising event in Maryport GP practice
- Saturday 15th June - Carers in Harmony – four choirs singing at Rosehill Theatre, Whitehaven
- For further details contact West Cumbria Carers on 01900 821976.
Dumfries and Galloway
A number of organisations are hosting events across Dumfries and Galloway in order to raise awareness of the impact of caring on daily life and help Carers’ to make sure they are accessing all the practical and emotional support they need to care safely and look after themselves.
- Wednesday 12th June- Carers Centre Newton Stewart, Craft Group, Keep well health checks 01671 401152
- Wednesday 12th June- Kings Arms Castle Douglas coffee and chat 07902002963, Parish Church Hall Castle Douglas 12pm-3pm, User and carer involvement AGM 01387 255330
- Thursday 13th June- D&G Carers Centre, Welfare Reform Training for Carers- 10.30am-12.30pm 01387 248600
- Thursday 13th June- Kings Arms Hotel, Lockerbie 11am-2pm, Local Carers drop-in with Red Cross 01387 248600
- Friday 14th June -Newton Stewart, Awareness raising and bag packing 01671 401152
Penny Nowell, Planning and Commissioning Manager for the Carers Strategy said:
“Carers have an extremely important role to play in society and the impact that caring for another person can have should not be underestimated.
"Caring for someone else takes a great deal of time and energy. It can be costly and can leave the Carer feeling isolated.
“Carers’ Week is so important because it gets people thinking about Carers, helps people identify themselves as Carers and highlights the kind of advice, information and support that is available.
"It also recognises and celebrates the valuable contribution Carers make to the people they care for and their communities.