Bird of prey poisoned
A red kite found dead in Dumfries and Galloway was poisoned, tests have revealed.
Police Scotland say the results of forensic tests carried out on the bird found in the Castle Douglas area in January, established it died from ingesting a rodenticide poison used in the control of mice and rats.
Police now want to hear from anybody who may have information about the incident.
The bird was discovered in early January on the B794 road near to Townhead of Greenlaw, Castle Douglas, and was thought initially to have been struck and killed by a vehicle.
Subsequent laboratory tests to establish the cause of death resulted in the discovery of a blue/green material in the gullet of the bird. Examination of this material has found it to be a rodenticide material readily obtainable for the control of rodents at retail outlets.